So I’m sitting here on the train to NYC and I guess I wanted
to just take some time and recount my thoughts on what has been going on
because I haven’t said anything on here for a while. Things are vastly
different from the last time I wrote, and I have an hour were I can just write
and not worry about any other distractions.
For one thing, I am no longer with Renata. Things didn’t
work out, and we went our separate ways. That’s the end of that.
For another thing, I graduated and got a job – a real one.
I’m a biologist at Merck. It’s not exactly exciting work, but I am fortunate to
have it even though on some days all I want to do is just quit. It gets the
bills paid, and I’m happy about that. I know that I was thinking about grad
school and going into finance and investment banking, but a lot of that didn’t
play out the way I was planning.
And I guess there are good reasons for that too.
The biggest change in my life since the last time I wrote
was that I have actually started up a company called Barik Army. So, I guess
you can say my title is CEO or Founder or whatever, but in any case, it’s been
a wild ride. Barik Army is dedicated to bringing car enthusiasts together in
order to help people who need it the most. It does so in a couple of different
ways.
First off, we distribute aftermarket parts from nearly 200
manufacturers. These are all manufacturers that provide top end parts for cars,
including ones that get shown at SEMA, Tokyo Auto Salon and other shows
worldwide. It’s crazy because when I was growing up, I would draw the logos of
these manufacturers in my notebooks when I was doodling. I was always into
modifications and companies like HKS and AEM could be found drawn in my notes.
Now I can proudly say that I deal with these companies on a regular basis and I
distribute their parts. This was a dream, and something I never thought would
have happened even a year ago today. I offer the best prices, and recently have
secured a partnership with Amazon in order to distribute through their online
store. That part of the business has only been live for a little while, but in
the time that it has been live, I’ve already seen a significant hike in sales.
As a test run, I only put one manufacturer up, just to see where it would go.
And so far the results have been amazing, and I wonder what will happen when I
get the other manufacturers online as well. The income would be enough for me
to actually quit my day job and pursue this venture with all of my time and
resources.
The other facet of Barik Army is what the company was
started for. “Barik” is actually derived from the Thai word for donate, and
essentially it is an “army” of people that donate. That should give you an idea
about what we do. I started the company in order to be able to help as many in
the world as possible. In July, we went to Washington DC and fed over 100
homeless a whole meal. DC was the place where everything started about two
years ago when I went there and saw the insane amount of homeless people that
were there. I was inspired to help as many of them out as possible, but didn’t
really have the means at that point. When I started Barik Army, I finally had a
way to do so on a large scale. We made a video for it, and it got such a great
response. Just recently we had a huge fundraiser that brought in over $2,200
that will be donated to a guy I went to high school with, who was involved in a
very horrific motorcycle accident.
I can confidently say that I have found something that I
truly love doing. I feel alive with Barik Army, and the way
that it helps people has been one of the things that I've always wanted to do since I was a kid. I think that this is something that will go a long way,
and I have many people that believe that there is huge potential in it. The
fact that I have an investor who believes this has the potential to take off is
just enough to know that something like this needs proper management and
marketing, and it will be something huge. I need a team of people that will be
able to take this to the next level and I am working on that right now. In
fact, that is the very reason I am on this train to NYC – looking to build a
team, and I need to meet with my investor to come up with a solid strategy.
In any case, I am almost there, and I need to put the laptop
away. I’ve been meaning to update this for a while, but I often found that I
would lose my fire while writing, and I wanted to keep it as authentic as
possible – so instead of forcing myself, I would abandon those little ventures.
Today, it all flowed – I didn’t really have to think about it, it all just sort
of came out, and I’m glad because sometimes I need to do this in order to help
keep me sane as well.
Here’s to hoping I’m not crazy.
But the people who have changed the world are the ones
craziest enough to think that they could.
No comments:
Post a Comment