Welp, it felt like just the other day that I was writing a post about moving to NYC, and now here I am about to move again for the sixth time in six years. Next stop: San Francisco.
Now, I'm not exactly sure how much I'll like it there, but the job is what I'm chasing and I'm 100% sure that it will bring me closer to my longer term goals. It's going to be a big change on quite a few aspects:
- Weather. It's always 55-70 degrees there, and sunny for the most of the year. No snow. Oliver is going to love it, and I might get a convertible or something so I can enjoy it.
- Nature. San Francisco isn't as big of a city as you'd think. It's actually quite small when compared to NYC or Chicago, but the best thing is that it's close to sooo many beautiful natural landmarks. It's only three hours from Yosemite, a short flight to Seattle or Vancouver, and even close by, there are places like Big Sur. With my love of hiking, this is going to prove so fucking awesome. I honestly can't wait.
- Pace. It's way more relaxed in San Francisco. There are hardly any horns, people are biking and skateboarding all over the place, and people are just generally more laid back. I think it's going to take some time to get used to. When I returned to NYC after spending the day there, I was like THANK GOD for the CHAOS! So this change of pace will be something I have to learn to love. I feel like if I can be successful in NYC, which I think I have been, I can replicate that anywhere. So this should be fun.
- Schedule. I have to follow the east coast's time because the markets open at 9:30 am EST. So now, I get into the office between 7 and 7:30 am. In San Fran, I'll have to get in between 4 and 4:30 am. Fuck. That's going to take some time to get used to. The upside is that I get out a lot earlier so that might make up for it. We'll see though.
- Rent. It is HIGHER than Manhattan. Like wtf. I'm struggling to find a place under $2500 a month and that is WITH roommates. In Manhattan, it's like at least $1k cheaper. A studio in a dangerous and shitty area is literally $1800. It's just unreal. Luckily, I've read that everything else is cheaper.
- Compensation. Yeah... I'll just be frank about it. I'm going to be making a lot of money. Sure some of it will be eaten up by the rent, but goddamn...I am 26 years old. I'm going to be extremely well off by just about anyone's standards. Even my dad was like "Yeah, medical school would have been a mistake." That's pretty much how I know I made it, when my dad admits med school would've been the dumb choice. I can see myself paying off all my student loans in the next year and achieving financial independence. Super stoked about that possibility.
At this rate, I'll probably only be there for a year, and then move again in 2020 haha. But whatever, it's so much fun and I am fortunate enough to experience different cities like this. And if I enjoy San Fran, I can see myself staying too. I'm really looking forward to this new experience, and I can't wait to check some more national parks and hikes off my list. Here's to a new adventure :).
Now, I'm not exactly sure how much I'll like it there, but the job is what I'm chasing and I'm 100% sure that it will bring me closer to my longer term goals. It's going to be a big change on quite a few aspects:
- Weather. It's always 55-70 degrees there, and sunny for the most of the year. No snow. Oliver is going to love it, and I might get a convertible or something so I can enjoy it.
- Nature. San Francisco isn't as big of a city as you'd think. It's actually quite small when compared to NYC or Chicago, but the best thing is that it's close to sooo many beautiful natural landmarks. It's only three hours from Yosemite, a short flight to Seattle or Vancouver, and even close by, there are places like Big Sur. With my love of hiking, this is going to prove so fucking awesome. I honestly can't wait.
- Pace. It's way more relaxed in San Francisco. There are hardly any horns, people are biking and skateboarding all over the place, and people are just generally more laid back. I think it's going to take some time to get used to. When I returned to NYC after spending the day there, I was like THANK GOD for the CHAOS! So this change of pace will be something I have to learn to love. I feel like if I can be successful in NYC, which I think I have been, I can replicate that anywhere. So this should be fun.
- Schedule. I have to follow the east coast's time because the markets open at 9:30 am EST. So now, I get into the office between 7 and 7:30 am. In San Fran, I'll have to get in between 4 and 4:30 am. Fuck. That's going to take some time to get used to. The upside is that I get out a lot earlier so that might make up for it. We'll see though.
- Rent. It is HIGHER than Manhattan. Like wtf. I'm struggling to find a place under $2500 a month and that is WITH roommates. In Manhattan, it's like at least $1k cheaper. A studio in a dangerous and shitty area is literally $1800. It's just unreal. Luckily, I've read that everything else is cheaper.
- Compensation. Yeah... I'll just be frank about it. I'm going to be making a lot of money. Sure some of it will be eaten up by the rent, but goddamn...I am 26 years old. I'm going to be extremely well off by just about anyone's standards. Even my dad was like "Yeah, medical school would have been a mistake." That's pretty much how I know I made it, when my dad admits med school would've been the dumb choice. I can see myself paying off all my student loans in the next year and achieving financial independence. Super stoked about that possibility.
At this rate, I'll probably only be there for a year, and then move again in 2020 haha. But whatever, it's so much fun and I am fortunate enough to experience different cities like this. And if I enjoy San Fran, I can see myself staying too. I'm really looking forward to this new experience, and I can't wait to check some more national parks and hikes off my list. Here's to a new adventure :).
No comments:
Post a Comment