I saw this video on Facebook. One of my friends posted it, and usually I just ignore them and keep pointlessly looking at my Newsfeed. But, I guess this time, the Newsfeed had remained unchanged so much that I decided to just watch this video, and I honestly had to watch more than once to understand the amazingness of it.
I lost my grandmother to lung cancer when I was in the seventh grade. When we found her cancer, it was in the final stages, and there was nothing much that treatment could do. We decided that we would think about quality of life at that point. Looking back, I remember how fast her condition deteriorated. We found the cancer in the August before I started 7th grade. And by the time that October had rolled around, she was already immobilized and could not get out of bed. In fact, she was so affected that she lost her ability to speak properly. I tried to talk to her on the phone a few times and all I got was slurred words that I couldn't make out. It was heartbreaking to hear her go through that. I couldn't imagine what my father was going through. He loved and respected his mother more than anyone I've ever seen. She raised seven kids, and lost two more in her lifetime. Saying she was an amazing person in her short time on Earth is a vast understatement.
Cancer is one of those things where almost everyone on this planet has been affected by it in some form. I had classmates that passed away of cancer. In fact, at my sister's graduation this past Thursday, there was a part that honored a student who lost her battle with cancer. Finding a cure is something almost everyone wants. And the video below may be the first step.
Emma was in her final stages of leukemia. As is stated, this treatment was for patients who had no other options left because it was still in the trial stage. The idea of taking her T cells and injecting them with genetically engineered HIV so that her immune system can fight the cancer cells is totally incredible. The video was posted back in May, and I'm not sure why I am just seeing this now. I am honestly speechless, and I really hope this form of treatment can spread to other types of cancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment