And in the blink of an eye, my time in Cleveland will be coming to an end shortly. I've accepted a position in NYC and it has me reflecting just what this city meant to me.
This city is full of people who have big hearts and won't think twice about going out of their way to lend you a hand. I didn't see so much of this in St. Louis, but the Midwest mentality rings true here. It's a city that has a "watch us do what you say we can't" mentality, where it's Cleveland vs the World, and there's something about that that I love. It resonates with the struggles I've gone through, and to come out on the other end stronger and better than before. Cleveland is a champion in its own heart, and in that respect it won my heart.
From the baseball and basketball games, to the metro parks, the beach...this place let me experience many things. This place picked me up when I was down and pushed me to move forward. I've witnessed random strangers talking to each other like they were long time friends. I've been one of those random strangers in those conversations. There isn't one moment while being in Cleveland that I thought, man I wish I wasn't here.
Whenever I had visitors, I always impressed them with the life that Cleveland provides, from the endless selection of restaurants, and the nightlife with countless bars and dance spots. From the spectacular views of Lake Erie, to the hiking trails of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. From the beaches of Edgewater Park to the snowy slopes of Holiday Valley just a short drive away.
I remember all the times I was drunk and laughing with my friends when we were out. All the times we would joke in the office. All the times I was shown compassion. All the times my closest friends did things I never thought they'd do, and had me crying from laughter. I remember all the interesting food I've eaten. I remember jet skiing and kayaking in Lake Erie. I remember feeding giraffes in the zoo. I remember all the sunsets, all the sunrises. All the times I ran through the city with Oliver, and everyone stopping to say hi. I remember rolling around in the grass in the middle of a city, and thinking I have it fucking made. I close my eyes and revisit the memories in slow motion, forever grateful I can always reflect in such a positive way.
In the last three years, I've moved three times. Every time, it was easy to move, and I didn't feel like I'd miss the place I was at. Even when I left St. Louis to start life in Cleveland, and start a long-distance relationship with my at-the-time girlfriend who I was so in love with, it wasn't as hard as this will be. Home is not a place, it's a feeling - and Cleveland is the closest to feeling like home than any other place I've lived - including NJ. I was always looking forward to coming back after a trip and being in my apartment. Now, I've been offered a salary that catapults me into the top 1% in my age group, and the opportunity to take the next step in my career, and even with that, this is hard.
Cleveland will always have an incredibly special place in my heart, and I will only speak highly of everything this city has given me, from amazing friends to amazing adventures. I have a few weeks left here, and I will try to live them to the fullest I can. Thank you for everything you've given me.
I love you, Cleveland.
This city is full of people who have big hearts and won't think twice about going out of their way to lend you a hand. I didn't see so much of this in St. Louis, but the Midwest mentality rings true here. It's a city that has a "watch us do what you say we can't" mentality, where it's Cleveland vs the World, and there's something about that that I love. It resonates with the struggles I've gone through, and to come out on the other end stronger and better than before. Cleveland is a champion in its own heart, and in that respect it won my heart.
From the baseball and basketball games, to the metro parks, the beach...this place let me experience many things. This place picked me up when I was down and pushed me to move forward. I've witnessed random strangers talking to each other like they were long time friends. I've been one of those random strangers in those conversations. There isn't one moment while being in Cleveland that I thought, man I wish I wasn't here.
Whenever I had visitors, I always impressed them with the life that Cleveland provides, from the endless selection of restaurants, and the nightlife with countless bars and dance spots. From the spectacular views of Lake Erie, to the hiking trails of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. From the beaches of Edgewater Park to the snowy slopes of Holiday Valley just a short drive away.
I remember all the times I was drunk and laughing with my friends when we were out. All the times we would joke in the office. All the times I was shown compassion. All the times my closest friends did things I never thought they'd do, and had me crying from laughter. I remember all the interesting food I've eaten. I remember jet skiing and kayaking in Lake Erie. I remember feeding giraffes in the zoo. I remember all the sunsets, all the sunrises. All the times I ran through the city with Oliver, and everyone stopping to say hi. I remember rolling around in the grass in the middle of a city, and thinking I have it fucking made. I close my eyes and revisit the memories in slow motion, forever grateful I can always reflect in such a positive way.
In the last three years, I've moved three times. Every time, it was easy to move, and I didn't feel like I'd miss the place I was at. Even when I left St. Louis to start life in Cleveland, and start a long-distance relationship with my at-the-time girlfriend who I was so in love with, it wasn't as hard as this will be. Home is not a place, it's a feeling - and Cleveland is the closest to feeling like home than any other place I've lived - including NJ. I was always looking forward to coming back after a trip and being in my apartment. Now, I've been offered a salary that catapults me into the top 1% in my age group, and the opportunity to take the next step in my career, and even with that, this is hard.
Cleveland will always have an incredibly special place in my heart, and I will only speak highly of everything this city has given me, from amazing friends to amazing adventures. I have a few weeks left here, and I will try to live them to the fullest I can. Thank you for everything you've given me.
I love you, Cleveland.
No comments:
Post a Comment