So after about a month here in SF, I've settled in fairly well and I think I have a good handle on life here. And as of now, I like it a lot better than NYC for a few different reasons.
1. I get to work a lot earlier. Usually I'm awake by 4 am and am in the office by 5 am. It's nice though because the office will basically cover the cost of the Uber to the office if you go in before 5, and I have to do that because of the way that the market works for west coasters. While that is difficult, the flip side of that is that I can leave a lot earlier than I did in NYC. And because I live in the city, my commute is super short. If I'm taking an Uber in the morning, it's literally 5 minutes, if I bike it's 8 minutes, and if I walk it's about 20 minutes. I absolutely love it. In NYC, I was commuting 45 min to 1 hour each way, and I worked from 7 to 7, so I had literally no time to do anything else. Now I can leave at 3-4, hit the gym before it gets packed, and will have HOURS to do whatever before I get to bed at 9 am. It's fantastic.
2. The lifestyle here is overall healthier, both in terms of food and night life. Things start to die down around 11-12 and that makes for a great weekend because you've had enough fun, but you're home by 1 am and you don't screw up your schedule too much the next day. It's super awesome. And then in terms of food, almost everything around me is healthy. When I was in NYC, fast food was so easy to get and I gained some weight because of that (and the inability to go to the gym as much as I wanted to). Here, everything within reach is mostly healthy, and in fact, I've lost a bunch of weight just from eating healthier and walking to work. Also, it's very easy to have an active lifestyle here. I've taken 20 mile bike rides to the Golden Gate Bridge and back and it made for some amazing cardio as well as a pleasant, sight-seeing trip. It's crazy that I go from living on flat earth to biking through mountains in less than an hour. One of the greatest features of SF. Another great thing is that the gym that I'm going to is literally across the street from work. So convenient.
3. Aside from housing, things are actually cheaper than NYC. In terms of rent, I'm paying less than NYC, but I do have a couple roomies. I've hung out with one of them. Super cool dude. But if I wanted my living conditions to stay the same, it would have been significantly more expensive than NYC to make that happen. But having the master bedroom and my own bathroom is good enough for me. I don't need much and I tend to try and live a more minimalist lifestyle here. Then, the food, transportation, gym membership, literally EVERYTHING else, is cheaper. I am saving tons of money after bills. Yes, I'm being paid way more, but I've decreased my expenses so there's just a lot more play in my bank account. As a result, I'm aiming to get rid of all my student loans in the next two years and then buy a sick car after that.
4. People are nice here. It might be the weed, but the lifestyle here is laid back and nowhere near as intense as NYC. Don't get me wrong, I loved the intense lifestyle of NYC, but this is a good change of pace and I think I can do this for a few years before I decide to jump to another city once again (if that happens). You can talk to them at bars, at coffee shops, and it's not awkward. It's awesome. I've met a few drone pilots, great neighbors, and friendly baristas because of the general nature here. I dig it.
5. The weather. This goes without saying that it's amazing. It hovers between 50-70 degrees every single day and it's the best shit ever. It hardly rains and it's not humid. You really cannot beat this. It's so epic.
There are other things that I have to do on my bucket list and a lot of that is related to nature. Can't wait till I get to go out to Yosemite and Big Sur. I'm so happy that I made the move here. The job is challenging but my boss is great and I really love working for a big, well respected bank. Here's to living my best life.
1. I get to work a lot earlier. Usually I'm awake by 4 am and am in the office by 5 am. It's nice though because the office will basically cover the cost of the Uber to the office if you go in before 5, and I have to do that because of the way that the market works for west coasters. While that is difficult, the flip side of that is that I can leave a lot earlier than I did in NYC. And because I live in the city, my commute is super short. If I'm taking an Uber in the morning, it's literally 5 minutes, if I bike it's 8 minutes, and if I walk it's about 20 minutes. I absolutely love it. In NYC, I was commuting 45 min to 1 hour each way, and I worked from 7 to 7, so I had literally no time to do anything else. Now I can leave at 3-4, hit the gym before it gets packed, and will have HOURS to do whatever before I get to bed at 9 am. It's fantastic.
2. The lifestyle here is overall healthier, both in terms of food and night life. Things start to die down around 11-12 and that makes for a great weekend because you've had enough fun, but you're home by 1 am and you don't screw up your schedule too much the next day. It's super awesome. And then in terms of food, almost everything around me is healthy. When I was in NYC, fast food was so easy to get and I gained some weight because of that (and the inability to go to the gym as much as I wanted to). Here, everything within reach is mostly healthy, and in fact, I've lost a bunch of weight just from eating healthier and walking to work. Also, it's very easy to have an active lifestyle here. I've taken 20 mile bike rides to the Golden Gate Bridge and back and it made for some amazing cardio as well as a pleasant, sight-seeing trip. It's crazy that I go from living on flat earth to biking through mountains in less than an hour. One of the greatest features of SF. Another great thing is that the gym that I'm going to is literally across the street from work. So convenient.
3. Aside from housing, things are actually cheaper than NYC. In terms of rent, I'm paying less than NYC, but I do have a couple roomies. I've hung out with one of them. Super cool dude. But if I wanted my living conditions to stay the same, it would have been significantly more expensive than NYC to make that happen. But having the master bedroom and my own bathroom is good enough for me. I don't need much and I tend to try and live a more minimalist lifestyle here. Then, the food, transportation, gym membership, literally EVERYTHING else, is cheaper. I am saving tons of money after bills. Yes, I'm being paid way more, but I've decreased my expenses so there's just a lot more play in my bank account. As a result, I'm aiming to get rid of all my student loans in the next two years and then buy a sick car after that.
4. People are nice here. It might be the weed, but the lifestyle here is laid back and nowhere near as intense as NYC. Don't get me wrong, I loved the intense lifestyle of NYC, but this is a good change of pace and I think I can do this for a few years before I decide to jump to another city once again (if that happens). You can talk to them at bars, at coffee shops, and it's not awkward. It's awesome. I've met a few drone pilots, great neighbors, and friendly baristas because of the general nature here. I dig it.
5. The weather. This goes without saying that it's amazing. It hovers between 50-70 degrees every single day and it's the best shit ever. It hardly rains and it's not humid. You really cannot beat this. It's so epic.
There are other things that I have to do on my bucket list and a lot of that is related to nature. Can't wait till I get to go out to Yosemite and Big Sur. I'm so happy that I made the move here. The job is challenging but my boss is great and I really love working for a big, well respected bank. Here's to living my best life.
No comments:
Post a Comment